Sunday, January 3, 2016

Galatians at a Glance




It's almost time! I'm getting more and more excited about studying scripture with you. I'm praying an ancient prayer of David when he said, "Open the eyes of my heart that I may see wonderful things in your Word" over my own heart and for those of you participating. I believe God's Spirit will illumine the text in such a way that we will not be able to CONTAIN the transformation that ensues! With that being said let me briefly share why starting the year in Galatians could possibly be the BEST thing to set your spiritual thermostat to the right temperature and a few (hopefully) helpful study tips.


Why start with Galatians?

I desperately need to start my year in Galatians because of the unfortunate tendency of my heart to believe other "gospels". I'm a works person by nature and tend to measure God's love for and delight in me based upon what I DO; what I accomplish. Although, from an intellectual vantage point, I understand and am well-versed in the doctrine that I am saved BY GRACE through faith and not of my own doing, I undermine that theological truth when it's time for every day practical application. Paul rebuked the Galatians stating, "Who has BEWITCHED you"! He was grieved over the sad truth that these people who had accepted Jesus and had fully thrown themselves upon his mercy seat for salvation, realizing that their works couldn't save, we're so quickly deceived into thinking that their works now needed to KEEP them saved. How foolish! Works are not needed to save us but they are supposedly needed to "keep" us saved? Works never merited the love of God in the first place, but now that we have his love we have to work to keep it? It sounds bizarre and does not even have any rational bearing but YET I tend to be a Galatian! 

The New Year with all its pressure to be resolute and set new goals only adds fuel to this destructive inferno that I have to daily throw the water of the Word and the good news of the gospel upon! I know myself, a works-oriented person with a hint of Pharisee, and need the truth that it's only by GRACE through FAITH, and that while I was STILL DEAD in my SIN Christ died and loved me, to shatter the lies! I need to start the year knowing that I don't "do" in order to "be" but rather I "am" and therefore I "do". What I do, accomplish, achieve, my obedience, my godly living, and my "works" stem FROM my identity and inheritance in Jesus (which cannot be shaken, but is fixed in the heavens, sealed with the Holy Spirit!), and are NOT a means to GAIN my identity or acceptance! Yes, yes and YES! I need Galatians because I need a loving slap in the face from Jesus at the start of this year. I need to be reminded that the good news of the gospel will be GOOD NEWS every SECOND of every MINUTE of every HOUR of every DAY this year.  It sustains me! It will carry me. I only have to walk in step with God's Spirit and the FRUIT of the Spirit will be produced in ever-increasing measure. I need the encouragement to not "fall back into a yoke of slavery" as Paul exhorts the Galatians not to do.   Recalibrating and refocusing my heart on the CROSS and all of its implications as I appropriate the perfect righteousness and perfect obedience that were purchased for and given to me, is the goal for the year!

I pray that every false gospel that tries to rise up and preach anything except Christ and him crucified to me or you this year will be dismantled in the name of JESUS, by the power of the HOLY SPIRIT, for the glory of the FATHER!


Helpful Study Tips

Now that I literally feel like I can jump off my bed and go through the ceiling after preaching the gospel to my own heart, let me calm down and share a few practical tips.

1. I HIGHLY suggest spending tomorrow (Monday) and Tuesday reading Galatians from start to finish without highlighting  , underlining, circling, or taking any notes.  This aerial view of the book is crucial to being able to break it down into smaller bite-size pieces. Even if you don't understand certain parts, don't stop to re-read if you can help it. Just read through it a few times.  It will be much easier to properly exegete (explain or interpret) individual verses when we are grasping the greater context.  Then on Wednesday, I plan to dive into just chapter 1 in greater depth, marking in my Bible, reading commentaries and journaling.  I'll do the same with remaining chapters/days of the week.

2. Read through Galatians in more than one translation.  The ESV is my main study translation, but I occasionally read from less formal versions to bring a bit more clarity when needed.

3. Have a few extra study materials on hand to add to aid in your study time. Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem is one of my favs. Books like this one will help you to categorize doctrinal truths learned in Galatians!



Well, tomorrow will be great! Even if you have read Galatians 100 times, pray for your eyes to be opened to the well of endless truth and revelation contained within its' pages!

Happy reading,

Bryt xoxo






No comments:

Post a Comment